Saturday, July 7, 2007

Junior Camp


On Monday the girls and I flew home to San Diego. I was never so grateful to see blue sky's in my life. (It rained almost everyday that I was home in Texas.) Then on Tuesday we joined Joel at Junior camp. I'm not sure where it was located, the closest establishment to us was the Barona Indian Reservation. This was the first youth camp Joel has ever preached and I must add he did a great job. He told me it was like preaching for the first time all over again.
We had a great time despite the HEAT, no air conditioning (in some of our dorm rooms),dust and the Texas sized bugs. (Ask Sis. Blunk about those.) We even had a rattle snake join us but not for long. During the day the kids (78 registered) were able to enjoy archery, paint ball, the zip line, soft ball, and a water slide. We even had some fun events after the evening service like a camp fire with scary stories, s'mores and even a camp wide pillow fight. The church services were great. Joel's major theme throughout the week was making God the captain of their life. The kids responded great and there were 18 who received the Holy Ghost for the first time. Bro. Blunk said this was a record for the nine years he has been apart of the camp.
This week brought back so many wonderful memories of my years attending camps in Lufkin, Texas. I went to camp for 10 consecutive years and I looked forward to every one. I can truly say that some of the most powerful moves of God that I experienced were at youth camp. I strongly encourage parents to send their children to camp they will be blessed by God and even form some life long friendships. (This past week one little girl cried on Friday because she had to say goodbye to some newly found friends.) And besides all that you get five days of peace and quiet. LOL. I am so thankful my parents always allowed me to go to youth camp. I will always cherish that time of my life.

P.s. If you think camp is too expensive well, do what my parents did they made my sisters and I work for our money to go camp. Maybe that was why I made sure I had a good time, because I had to work to get there.

The alter call

Getting ready to preach the Word



Eating nachos after service




Fellowship after church



Alyssa enjoyed the pillow fight too




They were inseparable


She got to be a camper too

















What a great preacher

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Glad the camp was such a success!

Joseph James said...

I knew he could do it. Camps are the greatest!

Anonymous said...

Sister Bean:

We are so thankful that Brother Bean, You and Your Beautiful Daughters we a part of Junior Camp this year. Yes, we had a lot of dust, heat and the BIGGEST bugs I have ever saw (even the ones some special person put in my bed-EWWWW!!! Incidentally, I did find out who did it!), but overall, we had a good time, because it was for the children who need to be reached before the things of the world reach for them. Thank you again, Brother Bean for preaching to the children, we appreciate you for taking on a job, that people sometimes scoff at because they feel children are not important. Thank your family for both having the heartbeat of Jesus, you see, he also loved children and took time out of his busy schedule just for them. Love you all and see you around town. The Blunks.

Anonymous said...

Sister Bean,

Thank you for this wonderful report of Junior camp in section I. A couple of my grandchildren were there, and they loved it.

I was not able to attend any camps when I was a child, but I saw that all my children did, and I know these camps have been a powerful and positive influence in their lives.

Often, I think with gratitude of every teacher, preacher and singer who has ministered to my children--and to me. Thank you--all of you.

Bless you and your family.

Shirley Buxton