Monday, May 14, 2007

Saying Our Goodbyes

Hello, blogger ville. I apologize that I haven't posted in a while. Things have been hectic for the Bean family as of late. We got home yesterday after spending several days in San Jose with Momma Blanche. It was a bittersweet time for all us. Most of the family came to say their goodbye's to a wonderful lady. Although, it was nice to see everyone the circumstances left us all a little solemn in spirit. Today Hospice reported Momma Blanche has gone into a coma and will not live many more days.
I have not ever watched a person in the dying process before. I have been melancholy for days now. I know she is going to a better place, but as someone else in the Shomake family said it just isn't going to ever be the same again. There is one moment however I would like to share with you. It will for ever be etched in my minds eye. Last Thursday after we arrive at the house and we were told that Momma Blanche was awake we all (all of Nita's children and all the Shoemake siblings) went into her room. Joel sat nearest to her and held her hand and I right behind him. When she looked and realised who Joel was she pulled him close with what little strength she had and began to cry. The tears began to flow for the rest of us as well. After a little while Mom ask Joel to sing to Momma Blanche. And with that beautiful voice he began to sing about heaven. It wasn't much longer and the whole family was singing songs like Amazing Grace and O How I Love Jesus. It was such a beautiful and sad moment all at the same time. As I said earlier I've never watched the dying process before but I know that this is how we are supposed to die. I want my last days to be surrounded by my family and my God.
Enough of the sad. Anybody know a good joke. I will keep all of you updated as I hear the news. Thank you on behalf of the Shoemake/Hodges family for all of your prayers.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

We are so sorry to hear about your loss. I know she was such a wonderful person from her book. Our prayers are with you.